Monday, March 15, 2010

Bonnet with Frills Upon It!

  
  I love baby bonnets -- not only at Easter, but throughout the year!
They are one of my favorite baby gifts to make and give.  Even if the new arrival does not wear it  - which I can't image why not - it makes a precious nursery decoration or accessory for her teddy bear or doll!
One of my favorite parts of making a bonnet, is attaching the streamers.  It is one place that my creativity can run free.  It is a perfect place to try new techniques of ribbon or lace manipulation.
  Mother-of-pearl buttons, tiny seed pearls or hand embroidery add a special touch.
The bonnet above is made of white satin batiste, trimmed with French lace and smocked in pink.


The streamers, and the ribbon in the back casing, are pink silk satin ribbon.  This ribbon is my favorite for sweet bonnet streamers.  It is so very soft and holds a bow well, unlike some synthetic ribbons which are very slippery and come untied easily.
This is a fairly simple attachment of double loops, using one end of the streamer itself.  I secured it to the bonnet with a floral shaped mother-of-pearl button.  In the center of the button a small seed pearl is stitched to add just one more touch of sweetness!
Between now and Easter, I will share some of my other favorite bonnets and streamer attachments!
*In response to several inquiries, the smocking design used for this bonnet is included in the Old Fashioned Baby pattern, Smocked Baby Bonnet.  I apologize for omitting this information earlier!*

8 comments:

Cassie said...

What a sweet bonnet, and the little pearl is the perfect unexpected added detail!

Cindy said...

I also love bonnets and this one is just precious!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Unknown said...

Keep sharing bonnets! I have not yet been brave enough to make one for the expected granddaughters...

Martha said...

I just love this. SO pretty. I love how the smocking makes those pairs of pleats between the rows. Beautiful with all of that pink hanging behind it, so soft and sweet looking.

Laurie said...

This is sooooo beautiful and I LOVE the idea of the button on the ribbon ties! Smocked baby bonnets are my favorite item to make for a baby gift!

Jan M said...

So wonderful to know that others share bonnet love!
Thank you for the sweet comments!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Jan:
I've just now found your beautiful bonnets! Now, I'm inspired as I make the last element of Liam's christening ensemble. Stunning!
xoxo
Donna

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the ribbon rosette tutorial. I bought an antique crocheted bonnet and wanted just this embellishment for it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails